It was a bold move when Farmers & Mercantile took the decision to create an engineering inspection division. “Having succeeded in the farm insurance market we were confident that we understood what farmers wanted: good specialist advice and service. 19 years young and having gained a reputation for reliability and integrity, F&M identified an area where there was real dissatisfaction amongst farmers and in the knowledge that we could do better, we set up our own engineering division” says founding Director Nigel Wellings. Today the division provides a national inspection service with excellent feedback. “Farmers are grateful to have our inspectors arrive on farm and to complete the work without fuss and without their assistance. It amazes us that other firms expect the farmer or a member of their staff to operate the machinery for the inspector” comments Keith Short, divisional manager.
On-farm inspector James Baimbridge says “independent inspections are beneficial to clients; the independent element ensures that they do not have the same person servicing and inspecting the machine, thereby eliminating any conflict of interest when failings or recommendations are made.”
We want to help farmers fully understand their responsibilities with regard to Puwer and Loler. There’s a raft of legislation that surrounds this area of Health & Safety and it’s not always clear. Complying with the regulations bodes well for our clients; it proves that their attitude to risk management is professional and if there is an accident on the farm a valid certificate will be of importance. We want to support our farmers in avoiding prosecution should the Health & Safety Exec decide to investigate post-incident.
Why have we chosen to sponsor this new and unique event?
The common sense approach this event is aiming to achieve and what we are already doing, in our view creates great synergy. To us the farm handling event is about convenience, practicality and has a no nonsense approach. We are proud to be a part of this hands-on experience.
- We are a leading inspection company specialising in agricultural LOLER & PUWER inspections
- We provide nationwide coverage
- We offer a professional and efficient service which ties in with this revolutionary event
- The event will offer the full lifting equipment package
- Meet the inspection team
- Value for money and efficient use of time
- Test drive and choose a machine and schedule its inspection for the following year
- Book inspections for additional machines and compressors
What visitors can expect to learn from F&M’s presence at the event
- What the HSE regulations state and how they apply to farm machinery
- What inspectors are looking for
- What can make a machine fail
- Why it is important to have valid certificates
What visitors can talk to us about
- Consequences of not having certificates
- Advice on workshop/farm-made man platforms
- Added benefits that we offer – comprehensive report and office backup